Prior to founding BLG, Larry was the Global Head of Technology Law at Lehman Brothers. Few attorneys have more experience in crafting and implementing practical solutions for clients relating to information technology, intellectual property licensing and other commercial transactions that impact daily business operations.
Larry has negotiated hundreds of customer-side IT, IP licensing and outsourcing transactions, ranging from complex IT development, software-as-a-service, and IT and business process outsourcing transactions, to routine software license, professional services, IT re-seller, hardware purchase and maintenance, and market data transactions.
Larry has been the lead negotiator on numerous vendor-side IT, IP licensing and outsourcing transactions. From his experience in-house and as outside counsel, Larry has a unique understanding of the marketplace and the issues that matter the most to business teams and their advisors.
Selected Professional Activities
- Member, Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA) Technology & Regulation Committee
- Co-Chair, SIFMA Technology & Regulation Committee Working Group on Open Source Software
- Among the lead participants for the financial services industry to shape the General Public License Version 3
- Member, SIFMA Technology & Regulation Committee subcommittees on Outsourcing and Market Data
- Information Technology Committee, Assoc. of the Bar of the City of New York
- Speaker at numerous events on outsourcing in the financial services industry
- Chair, Lehman Brother’s Legal, Compliance & Audit Division’s Diversity and Summer Recruitment Subcommittee
- Co-Chair, American Express General Counsel’s Office Diversity Team
- Speaker at numerous events on the topic of how to use technology and re-engineered work flows to improve efficiency in providing in-house legal support
- Negotiated numerous IT and business process outsourcing arrangements with vendors located in India and The People’s Republic of China
- Negotiated numerous transactions to support users located in EMEA
- Work-Outs & Restructurings
- Resolved numerous problematic vendor relationships
- Restructured/unwound complex outsourcing and software-as-a-service arrangements
- Handled IT and vendor-related aspects of corporate acquisitions, spin-offs and restructurings, including vendor contract reviews, including transition services.
- Developed and implemented improved procurement contracting processes, tailored to the North American, Asian and Indian regions, to drive efficiency for small legal teams in each region.
- Implemented Risk-Based Contracting Model enabling non-attorney contract professionals and junior attorneys to handle routine elements of the contracting process, allowing senior attorneys to focus on high-value, high-risk issues and transactions
- Streamlined Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) Process to efficiently handle high routine volume NDA requests from disparate regions and business lines
Free & Open Source Software
- Developed and implemented an end-to-end OSS risk management process
- Addressed numerous OSS issues relating to vendor arrangements
Information Security & Privacy
- Partnered with IT Security and Privacy Officers to develop and implement privacy and information security standards
- Implemented data protection annexes to vendor agreements to address data handling and security risks
- Lehman Brothers 2005 to 2008
- American Express 2000 to 2005
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher 1994 to 2000